Bones come together to form joints. The configuration of a joint determines the degree and direction of possible motion. Cartilage is a protein substance that serves as a “cushion” between the bones of the joints.
What is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis, also known as degenerative joint disease, is the breaking down of the cartilage in joints, leading to stiffness and pain. Among the 100 different types of arthritic conditions, Osteoarthritis is the most prevalent.
What are the signs and symptoms of Osteoarthritis?
- Morning joint stiffness
- Pain or soreness when moving certain joints
- Soft tissue and bony swelling
- Restricted mobility
- What are the causes of Osteoarthritis?
- Poor diet
- Chronic or acute injuries
- Trauma to the joints
- Occupations (that require prolonged hours of standing or walking)
- Sports (long duration of weight-bearing activities)
- Metabolic abnormalities (Calcium, Phosphorous or other mineral imbalances)
- Infections by viruses & bacteria
- Free radical damage to connective tissue
- Malfunction of immune system
- Poor blood circulation
- Wearing High-heeled shoes for extended periods of time
How to maintain Healthy Joints?
- Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet with a lot of fruits and vegetables and foods rich in fibre.
- Shed excess body weight and maintain your ideal body weight
- Exercise regularly (Exclude sports that require joints to bear weight for long duration and those that require repetitive motion)
- Avoid taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Consume premium grade Glucosamine Sulphate supplement regularly